Inspired by this tweet I set about collating some of my experiences of conference calls and webexes.
Session 15/7 for 25 clin leaders in London-due to drop out need some1 to run 45min session on virtual working-can any1 help?@Damian_Roland
— Felicity Taylor (@FelicityJTaylor) July 3, 2014
I recommend watching this video first to set the scene
The summary of my video cast is distilled into these six points
1. Practicalities – a reminder of difference between calls that are simply multi-person phone conversations and those that are facilitated online conversations including ability to see presentations and documents.
2. Preparation – as with all meetings setting an agenda is key but also remember to confirm functionality of dial-in numbers.
3. Participants – be aware of the ‘newbie’ and provide as much pre-event advice as possible.
4. Procedures – be as clear as possible about the structure of meeting at the outset.
5. Punctuality – you may need to more directive than is normal as this is an environment where body language is impossible to read.
6. Pitfalls – make sure everyone is muted – but remind them to unmute when speaking!
I recorded in one take so it’s not amazingly fluid but I would really welcome feedback on all the points I have missed!